Monday, March 24, 2014

muscle relaxers and wine: warning or invitation?

So we made it here, Lake Chelan and as usual it is gorgeous.  The lake is so beautiful and flat, truly picturesque.  If there were a better way to arrive at this idyllic location, other than driving with two kids, one who asks within the first hour of at least a five hour drive, "are at Lake Chelan?"  I am not one for a great deal of patience, so it doesn't take long before I am telling Eytan, don't ask me anymore if you want a response from me.

I was worried most about the drive and my piriformis.  I had picked up a prescription for robaxin before we left after doubling up on my acupuncture treatments since I wouldn't be able to go for a week.  The pharmacist gave me some spiel about the medication: it will make your urine dark and it may make you drowsy.  No problem.  I can try it at home first before driving with it to be sure I am going to be safe while using it.  So, after we finally arrive in Lake Chelan, my back is in great pain.  The drive was too long for me to sit and not experience pain.  I had taken some Advil and that works fine but not having eaten a real meal other than chips and some cauliflower on the road, my stomach was not happy when I finally added the robaxin in the mix too.  That made for a bad first evening in Lake Chelan, but we did some stargazing and I powered through.

The first full day, Monday in Lake Chelan was a mixed bag.  The piriformis still acting funny.  I picked up the bottle of robaxin and wondered: what made my stomach hurt?  Was it the robaxin or was it that I took it after having taken advil and not eating enough real food?  Then, I looked at the prescription bottle and saw the label about not taking it with alcoholic beverages.  I don't know about you, but when I see that I don't read it as a warning, rather I read it as an invitation.  If the medication is going to make me loopy, alcohol is merely going to enhance it.  Who wouldn't want that?  I mean seriously?  Yes, please.  So, I took the robaxin.  We went to a winery for a tasting before dinner then I had a margarita at dinner.  Why wouldn't I take the robaxin.  It's medicinal at this point; to reduce my pain.  At least that's what I tell myself.

After the day I had of my child screaming and crying over the inability to find her butterfly swimsuit only to discover it at bedtime under a blanket on her bed, I deserve the robaxin with the extra kick.  I just hope it does not cause any stomach upset, because that would ruin everything.

It is gorgeous out here though.  As we drive to dinner, the first place we were planning to go to was closed, apparently only open seasonally, and we aren't here for the right season.  So much for El Vaquero.  Into town we go, which is a nice drive and it makes me think, perhaps I should do that marathon or perhaps half-marathon in Lake Chelan again.  It was a beautiful course. But, dang a full-marathon is no joke!  And the drive, grrr.  Why can't there be another means to get here?  Think Star-Trek, teleporting.  Then we ponder how on earth do these places stay in business?  How can you sustain yourself if you're only open seasonally?  What do you do the rest of the year?  If you aren't a winery, and there are plenty of those out here, what are you doing to make money and live in Lake Chelan?  Please clue me in.  I guess any resort community would be the same, but this is a nice place to visit, but other than to retire, what do younger people do here?  Unless they are training for something and are getting paid to be here.  Some things make since on how you sustain yourself: teaching, doctors, some lawyers, but beyond some essential professionals and with a community this small can't take a lot of those people to saturate the market, so then what?  How many boutique shops can this place sustain?  How many create your own yogurt shops can this place handle?

While I ponder this some more, I will pop another robaxin with my wine.  Have a great night.





No comments: