Monday, May 5, 2014

What's really important?

Last week Jane and I were planning to go out to do some route scouting for our 3/4 marathon, but by the end of the day I had texted Jane and she said she was over-heated, sunburned and exhausted and pregnant to boot so I did not feel I was in any position to tell her to get off her tuchus and go out as we had planned.  That would make me really seem heartless (even though I did want to get out there), I remember how much it sucks being pregnant when its warm.  We decided to go out the following morning before work.  I failed however to clarify if we would be going out by bike or on foot.  I showed up prepared to walk any distance in comfy Puma's and Jane's first response was, "Where's your bike!?!?" Oh, crap.  Always, always, important to clarify details such as this.  Fortunately, it was not a complete waste of our time.  We did figure out a great route which we are completely in love with. You'll have to stay tuned, i'm going to create a Kickstarter account to raise money...because this 3/4 marathon is for an important cause as well.  We had a nice walk through the neighborhood and talked about all sorts of things.  Why people are out in the middle of the day and not at work.  Whether Eytan's teacher is unconsciously suppressing females from speaking up in class.  Orange is the new black.  Lot splitting.  Gentrification.  You name it, we cover a lot of ground when we get to talking.  Eventually, we wrapped up and we both headed to work. 

Just I was thinking all was good and I would do my work and head home at a respectable hour, at around 2, I remembered I had agreed to be a running buddy with Girls on the Run, a volunteer organization to empower girls and show them they can set a goal and achieve it. Curses, I completely forgot my running clothes and I forgot my lunch because I wasn't planning on staying at work all stinking day.  Grr.  And, it was hot that day too.  Wouldn't this be just my luck.  That's when you have that moment of quickly trying to gather all your stuff to leave your work and think: do I have time to go home and get some running clothes and then make it to where I need to be by 4:15?  Every second seemed like five minutes had passed and I was moving more slowly than the last second.  What is going on???  Turn off the computer, or hibernate.  Do something, shut down mo-fo!! shut down!!  Then dash out to the car.  Google map how far this park I need to be at is located from where I am.  Hmm, is it really possible to make it to my house and risk my kids asking and freaking out about why I'm home but not staying home and why they can't come with me versus just going home and bailing on Girls on the Run or going to the park to volunteer just in the wrong clothes?  Now, I'm on the freeway and holy moly, where did all this traffic come from?  Okay, that solves that problem.  I clearly cannot go home first because there is no way I will make it back to southwest Portland in time.  Now, I'm beginning to wonder if I will even make it on time; i'm stopped in traffic, hungry, eating tic-tacs and drinking water.  Delicious.  Now my head is starting to hurt as well...wonderful.  Why did I not put those maxalt (migraine medications) in the glove box?? 

I make it to Gabriel Park on time and there were so many girls and running buddies! I was the most fashionable, wearing a black pencil skirt and yellow cotton tee with matching green and yellow Puma's from my route scout with Jane.  Of course I was wearing earrings and lipstick, because I had just left my office unlike every other running buddy who was dressed appropriately for the occasion, wearing running attire.  I figured it was more important that I show up for my young runner inappropriately dressed than not show up at all.  I am a woman of my word and if I could encourage someone else, that's wonderful.  I met my runners: Sophie and Tessa.  They were great, fun and unique.  I was concerned about my own ability to complete the practice 5k in shoes that aren't really meant for running and a bra that was not meant for running either...really, everything about my outfit said: sit at a desk and answer some questions, not run in 90 degree heat.  But, I managed to do it as did my girls.  It did take a bit of cajoling to get one of them to keep motivated, but the temperature was a barrier.  

In the end, I was so glad I volunteered and I am looking forward to running with Tessa and Sophie for the Starlight Run.  I'm glad that email from Oregon Women Lawyer's came and caught my eye and I volunteered with Girls on the Run.  I feel like I am generally able to distinguish what's really important in my life and in this case I did the right thing and I am so glad I did.  I would definitely volunteer with this organization again.  I can't wait for Eytan and Ayelet to be involved so I can run with my girls.   

No comments: